Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Should Be a Fun Read

These books that I've been working all have their geneses a few years ago, when I was looking for work and figured I should start turning my talent into some sort of payday.

That didn't really work out so well for me, but it allowed me a chance to sprout ideas that I'm capitalizing on now - which may or may not themselves turn out to fruition. But I've been having some trouble with this last book. I'm realizing that these works are gonna need some more wood-shopping than I had originally planned. And the these works about fatherhood are a lot darker and cynical than I find necessary or appropriate. Which is not to say that I don't value honesty, and, honestly, I was going through some dark, deep underground funks in those days.

But those were days before I realized I had clinical depression. A time before I had some positive outlets. And so I unwittingly scribed my therapy with the aim of publishing them.

Emigranten: tranen bij afscheid 
Some of the greatest writers and artists have turned their darkest terrors into fantastical fables. But they're fables, metaphors in story - one thing representing many people or events. To write a memoir is to tell the truth. And the type of truth I was telling was partial, clouded, self-serving, arrogant even. It was bitter, though I never wanted to be.

The good thing out of this mess is that now I have perspective. My story not just as a father, and often a StayAtHomeDad, but as a daddy struggling with chronic depression and trying to figure what that means. As a papa trying to protect my daughter not just from the ravages of the world, but more so, from my own worst tendencies.

 Should be a fun read!

Post Script:
That book has been released. Pedestrian Parenting, now on Kindle. Usually for the low, low price of 2.99. Today, for free! Get it.

No comments: